Thursday, July 9, 2009

Nostalgia

One of my fondest memories of my childhood is of my dear father reading me books. He used to insist that I read a paragraph and then would read me the rest. The usual fare was Asterix, Tintin, and all. While reading, he used to give different voices to the characters which somehow always sounded to be perfect for the character, like a deep voice for Obelix, a nice voice for Asterix, and an angry voice for the inimitable Captain Haddock. Thus began my love affair with books and I have to thank my Achhan for that. When talking about comics, Asterix has always been the first one that pops into my mind. Being illiterate in French, I have only read the English version, but original or not, the books are imba. Whether it is the naming of the characters or the double or sometimes triple meanings in the dialogues, everything leaves a mark. Whether the fights between Unhygeinix and Fulliautomatix or the sarcastic comments about Geriatrix's age, the dialogues are just too good. And when it comes to Tintin, another of my favourites, Captain Haddock is the first thing that springs to my mind along with his choiciest swearwords. Talking about swearwords. Billions of Blue Blistering Barnacles, look at the time!!! Have to sleep now.
Thats all Folks
Toodles

PS: Forgot to mention the fact that I almost completely solved yesterdays crossword. But if the brainiacs at Hindu get even a whiff of the fact that I found it to be easy, they make it ultra-hard next time. Still hoping for an easy one.

3 comments:

Arun said...

Even I got inspiration to start reading from my acchan. The very thirst for knowledge that I possess is courtesy him.

Asterix and Obelix and Tintin are ageless classics. I have read all the Tintin books, and most of the Asterix ones. I started reading Asterix after you told me to, anna, so thank you.

And nice to see that you are becoming a puli in crosswords. I try the TOI one occasionaly, but completing the damn thing is always beyond me.

The Analyst said...

I agree with mK , read all tintin comics almost watched everything on tv too.... Captain Haddock is one of my favorite characters...especially when angry.....And great going solving Hindu Crosswords

Lonely traveller said...

This is not my domain... But still, good post