Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A rather ambitious project

The last semester in college.

The last semester of actual "college life".

The last semester of fun before the rat race becomes more hectic.

Feels good.

As if a mountain has to be climbed and I have finally reached the base camp. Yes, life will most probably be an uphill journey from now on. This last semester of pure enjoyment will I guess be like the rest at the base camp before the actual ascent  is attempted. Thus it seems to be a good time to recap upon how I reached this base camp. Hey don't worry, it will not be a long drawn out narrative of all that I did since I began to remember. That is the job of my biographer after I become famous :).  I rather hope to write a series of blogs giving the most memorable moments and people I have met since my college life began. Hopefully there will be a blog on each semester, though my memory is rather faint regarding some parts :).

College life, especially hostel life has been a fantastic experience for me.  I learned many things that I would never have learnt in the not ordinary course of life  (engineering is the ordinary course of life now :) ). I daresay, it has rubbed a few odd corners off me. When I joined this college I had no expectations other than maybe an IT job. To be frank, I had no idea what to expect from here. I had no idea what the standard of education will be, what type of teachers I will study from or even what type of people I will be studying with. My book of expectations was blank and was slowly written in as the days progressed. Maybe I had a small hope of making some good friends. Ah yes! I also wanted to be able to avoid alcohol and smoke. And of course remain a vegetarian.Thats it. And have my expectations been fulfilled? A big resounding yessss!!! I have met  many nice people, made many nice friends, at least some of whom I hope will remain so for the rest of my life. And of course I have always been able to say a strong no to both alcohol and smoke. And yes I have stayed a vegetarian though I am not sure whether that is something to be proud of or not. At least I now have more confidence in my ability to say no.

If I miss anybody or anything in my description, it is only my bad memory at the time of writing that caused that miss. I assure that whoever you are or whatever that happened would have been included if I had perfect recollection of everything that ever occurred ( in that case I will be a miracle and would be writing this from the confines of a lab with scientists poking at my brain). Of course the journey this far has not been a smooth ride and there have been my fair share of hiccups and breakdowns. But what is the point of remembering bad things? I hope to maintain a rather lighthearted account of everything though I hasten to add that I would have more often than not understood the gravity of the situation.

So keep visiting once in a while to see how far my project has progressed.

Toodles

5 comments:

Lonely traveller said...

Good one Damu. It is after long that I am reading a post of yours which doesn't require me to look up wikipedia every now and then for the loads of unfamiliar terms you use :) (It has helped me a lot to understand a lot of stuff, though.) Looking forward to the coming episodes.

jovial wanderer said...

naaaicee ..... waiting for the upcoming posts....

Maya said...

Goodie! One thing you would realize later is the friends you made here are the friends who you connect with always. Coz they know you more than lot of other ppl you meet later. They have probably seen you at your worst (as in nobody attempts to be at their best in hostel interactions!).
Waiting to read the next set of posts.

ashwinhari said...

liked this one very much...good that u are writing more frequently..waiting for the funny episodes from our college days..:)

Arun said...

Your greatest achievement perhaps would be not getting seduced by the dark side- smoking, drinking, gambling, cheating, embracing non-vegetarianism- whichever way you classify it. Kudos for that anna. But this is just the beginning; a lifetime of uncertainty and adventure awaits. Roll on the memoirs for now.